As you know by now, Lubuntu is the taste of Ubuntu using the desktop lxde as a default desktop and has a profile for computers with few or very limited resources. Today I will tell you how to install a series of extras in Lubuntu as well as Ubuntu has the ubuntu-restricted-addons . This package of Lubuntu extras contains a number of very useful programs for Lubuntu and some of them we have commented on recently.
The extras of Lubuntu which I mean are:
- Compton, A famous and very good composite manager, Does anyone not know him yet?
- Lubuntu tweaks, A tweaks program that further expands the configuration options of this operating system.
- Menulibre, Is an application that allows us to configure in a very graphical way the system menus.
- ViewNior, It is an image program, quite limited but very useful for managing images with basic functions.
- Hat, It is a very light web browser, it enters into serious competition with Midori and it is also a web browser-kit, for the information I have, it is not yet compatible with html5.
Such extras are not found in the official repositories of the distribution although they are sponsored and developed by a Lubuntu development team. However, in order to install them we only need to add the PPA repository via terminal, so we opened the terminal and typed
its add-apt-repository ppa: Lubuntu-dev / non-official-apps
sudo apt-get update
Being a system of few resources, the development team has not valued creating a metapackage that brings together all programs as with ubuntu-restricted-addons but if it allows us to do the installation program by program, so to install a certain program we write
sudo apt-get install package_to_install
If we want to install all the packages we write
sudo apt-get install compton menulibre ViewNior xombrero
And if you don’t have any dependency issues, all the programs will be installed.
Now all you have to do is check and find out what new programs your Lubuntu will have. If you do not know a program like Compton o Menulibre you have our blog where you can find more information about these programs.
If you have this distribution, it is highly recommended to install it and evaluate it. What amazes me is that at the moment they are declared as unofficial extras when there are programs like compton o menulibre which are sufficiently consolidated and tested.
More Information – Compton, LXDE window composition, MenuLibre, a complete menu editor, Lubuntu 13.04, a “light” review,
font – LubuntuBlog
image – wiki Xombrero