There are many media players in Ubuntu, I would say too much. To play files like videos or loose songs I usually use VLC, an all-terrain program that perfectly fulfills its task. It is also a multi-platform program, so its use is virtually the same in any operating system. But there are still sections where VLC does not arrive, so we will have to look for alternatives. One such alternative may be Kodi, the media center formerly known as XBMC that offers us all the options we can imagine, such as playing movies from web pages or watching sports on streaming. In this article we will show you how to install Kodi on Ubuntu (And some more recommendations).
How to Install Kodi Media Player
First of all, we will install a necessary package for Kodi. We will do this by opening one terminal and writing the following:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
There is a possibility that we already have it installed, but better to make sure. If we already have it installed, the terminal will notify us that no changes have been made.
Kodi is not in the official repositories, so we will have to add repository. The fastest and easiest way to install the famous media player is to copy and paste the following commands into a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install kodi
How to take advantage of Kodi
This player is very, very powerful. It can play virtually any type of file, we can create a library with metadata … saying everything it is capable of doing would be virtually impossible, but we can recommend some add-ons and repositories that can get us out of more than one difficulty. I would recommend 2 p.m. add-ons:
- Pelisalacarta. You don’t have to be a fortune teller to know what this is for add-on. With Pelisalacarta we can access a good catalog of web pages they offer movies and series in streaming. Some of these websites require us to be registered, but there are many that work without registration, which will be especially good for a general search.
- Adryanlist. this add-on it will allow us to watch movies and series on demand, but it is not its strongest point. Adryan adds live channels and updates them from time to time, so we can watch paid channels without paying a single euro. Of course, everyone is responsible for their own actions, as well as for “inviting him to a coffee” (as he puts it) to the creator of the add-on.
First of all, it is worth changing the language to Spanish. We will do it as follows:
- Let’s go to System / Settings.
- Then we go into Appearance.
- Now let’s get into International.
- Finally, we choose our language and schedule. As you can see, on the right we have all the necessary options. I chose Spanish language (Spanish until we changed it) and 24h of Spain. Now yes, let’s install a repository.
Installing repositories: SuperRepo
To install a repository, we will do the following:
- we’re going to System / File Manager.
- We click on Add source.
- In the window that opens, click where it says «
»I afegim http://srp.nu as you see in the image below.
- In the box below, we give it a name. I put the officer on him, that is SuperRepo.
- The repository is not yet installed. To install it, we have to go to Settings / Add-ons, we chose «Install from a .zip file»And we choose the unit that will have the name we gave it in the previous step.
- Inside the SuperRepo unit, we entered the version of Kodi we have installed (in this case Jarvis), moved to the “All” folder and installed the repository.
Installing add-ons in Kodi
There are two ways to install one add-on: From a .zip file or from a repository. If we have downloaded one add-on Internet, we will install it from a .zip file as we did from step 5 above. What we will do now is install one add-on from a repository. It’s almost exactly the same, but instead of choosing “Install from a .zip file”, we choose “Install from repository”, which will allow us to browse its sections, choose what type of add-on we want to install and install. In the following screenshots you can see images of the add-on Adryanlist which is in the “Video Add-ons” section, like Pelisalacarta.
More information and download for all platforms: Kodi.tv