It’s done available the MAT 1.14 desktop for Ubuntu MAT 16.04 (Xenial Xerus). It has taken two months for their packages to be available under the PPA repository, as they have been tested in great detail so that none of their users encounter errors.
As you know, the distribution of Ubuntu MAT 16.04 includes version 1.12 by default of this desktop and the changes we will see when applying the new update in our system will be mostly aesthetic, although some new functionality has also been added.
As a minor version, this new edition of the desktop MAT 1.14 includes small aesthetic and functional changes for your system. Specifically we will see:
- Corrected the decoration of the apps on the client side. From now on they will be rendered correctly with all desktop themes.
- The configuration of the touch mouse configuration now supports the use of corners and the scrolling with two independent fingers.
- The management of the Pyhton en Caixa extension can now be managed autonomously.
- are selectable three new ways to focus on windows.
- The MATE panel can resize the icons in the menu bar and its own items.
- The volume and brightness OSD can now be turned on and off.
- Other small improvements and corrections in stability and performance.
The enhancements included in GTK + 3 are also present in MAT 1.14 and we will see it throughout all its desktop elements. However, packages have been compiled with GTK + 2 for ensure compatibility of Ubuntu 16.04 with other applications third parties, applets, plugins and other extensions.
To install the MAT 1.14 update on Ubuntu MAT 16.04, you will need to enter the following commands through the console:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate sudo apt update sudo apt dist-upgrade
If you’re not happy with the changes or find compatibility issues that are driving you back you can reverse the changes with the following script:
sudo apt install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/xenial-mate
We recommend that you restart your system once you have made the changes.