If you are a loyal user of Linux Mint, one of the most popular Ubuntu-based distributions, you will be glad to know that the version is now available Linux Mint 18 Xfce. There has been no official announcement yet, which Clement Lefebvre will do at any time, but virtually all versions will upload the new versions to their FTP servers days before the scheduled release of the new version.
the new ISOs are now available, For both 64-bit and more limited computers that include a 32-bit processor. As we say every time we talk about a distribution that works well on more limited computers, it is not surprising that Linux Mint continues to offer 32-bit support, which some distributions like standard Ubuntu are considering leaving out.
Linux Mint 18 Xfce, based on Ubuntu 16.04
The latest version of Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu 16.04, the operating system that was released in April 2016. This means that it includes the Linux kernels 4.4 and comes with many new features, but does not include other new features that have already arrived after the release of versions 16.04.1.
Among the news that have come with Linux Mint 18 “Sarah” Xfce include the following:
- Support for new X-Apps that are also available in Linux Mint Cinnamon and MAT flavors like XED, Xviewer, Xreader, Xplayer and Pix.
- New Mint -I theme, based on Ark GTK and with Moka icons.
- Support for exFAT and Btrfs file systems (default).
- Improvements in HiDPI and GTK3.
- Includes the new Update Manager tool (also present in the Cinnamon and MAT versions).
- MDM 2.0 login.
- Various visual improvements.
- Support for OEM installations.
Being based on a version Long Term Support or LTS, Linux Mint 18 Xfce will feature support for security patches and updates for 5 yearsThat is, until the summer of 2021.
If you want to download it, you can do so from one of the following links but given what happened months ago, I would expect Lefebvre to make the official release (or until it appears in THIS LINK). If you’ve already tried it, feel free to leave your experiences in the comments.
Download | 32-bit
Download | 64-bit