Although Linux has not historically been a platform designed for gaming, it is great titles of all genres have come to her and most importantly, great conversions have been made that have allowed the community to enjoy good hours of entertainment. The trend to create games exclusively for Windows and Mac OS X systems is changing nowadays and we owe it largely to Steam and the strong bet it has made on its Steam OS.
In the guide below we present you the five games we need to have in our Ubuntu.
Shooter: Urban Terror
Urban Terror is a title of shooting free multiplayer developed by FrozenSand, where an engine compatible with the famous Quake III Arena but independent of it is used. Its creators define it as one shooter tactical where realism is not at odds with fun. As a result you get a unique, very fun and addictive title that will make you hook up with your friends.
Without being of last generation, the graphics are widely compliant and ensure optimal gameplay in teams with low resources, but which have at least the following:
- Graphics card: 8 MB with 3D acceleration and full OpenGL support.
- Pentium MMX processor at 233 MHz or Pentium II at 266 MHz or AMD K6-2 at 350 MHz.
- Memory: 64 MB of RAM, a computer 100% compatible with Windows XP or higher.
- 100% Microsoft compatible mouse and keyboard, joystick (optional)
No need for any registration, The title is available for other platforms like Windows or Macintosh and to try it you just have to download, install and play it. Inside you will have the following game modes:
- Capture the flag: The goal is to capture the flag of the opposing team and take it to your own base.
- Team Survivor: Eliminate players from the opposing team until there is at least one survivor of their own team or time runs out, in which case the game would be tied. Rounds are used for each team and the one who wins the most at the end of the game wins.
- Deatmatch for teams: Eliminate players from the opposing team. It differs from Team Survivor mode in that in this mode the player is reborn again. The team that has eliminated the most rivals when time runs out will win.
- Bomb mode: Similar to Team Survivor but with the difference that one team must activate a bomb at the enemy base and the other team must prevent this from happening.
- Follow the leader: It is similar to Team Survivor. It consists of the leader having to touch the enemy flag that is in random positions, so that the rest of the team will have to protect it from the enemy. Automatically, the leader begins with a Kevlar armor and helmet, rotating later among other members.
- All against all: In this version it is not played in team, but it is an individual way where it is necessary to kill all the other players. The player who has killed the most rivals wins.
- Capture and hold: It is a game mode in which there are two teams that will have to seize the largest number of flags distributed throughout the map. If a team takes all the flags 5 points are written down in its favor, winning at the end of the game the one that obtains a higher score.
Turning strategy: Hedgewars
Hedgewars is a turn-based strategy game based on the mythical Worms saga but starring hedgehogs instead of worms. The game consists of eliminating the hedgehogs from the other teams that participate using various weapons, many of them unconventional and that add a very fun touch to the games.
The graphics in the game are kind cartoon and there are several configurable scenarios that bring variety to the games and feature a sudden death mode that keeps each of them from spreading endlessly over time. As we say, it is very fun to play with friends and family because in each round the conditions are random and allow very disparate results.
The game is GPLv2 licensed and available on cross-platform for multiple Linux distributions (Ubuntu among them), Windows and Mac OS.
FlightGear is a free flight simulator and is currently one of the most important free alternatives in terms of commercial flight simulators. Its code is open and extensible and, thanks to this, has a large number of add-ons created by third parties
It is probably the only program of this type whose code is free and without the intention of hiding how it works internally, which makes it very extensible. While there are players who consider that it fails to exceed the graphic level of the best commercial products, the physical model of the flight and the realism of the controls is at the same or higher level than the best simulators. This is because FlightGear was developed from the beginning with a high technical and scientific profile. OpenGL is supported and requires 3D acceleration hardware.
The game is available for major platforms, Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and has, among its main features the following:
- A wide and precise world stage database.
- 20,000 real airports, About.
- a precise terrain design from around the world which is based on the latest and most recent publication of SRTM data. Scenarios include lakes, rivers, roads, railroads, cities, towns, land, and other geographic options.
- It has a detailed and accurate sky model, With correct locations of the sun, moon, stars and planets for the specified date and time.
- It has an open and flexible aircraft modeling system that allows to expand the number of available aircraft.
- The animation of the cabin instruments is fluid and very smooth. The behavior of the instruments has been realistically modeled and the failures of many systems are accurately reproduced.
- It has multiplayer support
- It has real aviation traffic simulation.
- there is one realistic weather option which includes both sunlight, wind, rain, fog, smoke and other atmospheric effects.
Pingus it is a very popular clone of the ancient game Lemmings. Its mechanics are fully preserved, our goal being to guide the penguins along the stage to the exit. The game goes through several phases and we will have different skills to assign to the penguins to be able to get out of the level. The challenge is not only to get these little beings alive, but we will have to meet the requirements of time and number of lives saved, Which increases the complexity of the game.
As the games go on the requirements will be much greater and we will have to shake our heads to be able to solve the different puzzles that close each of the phases. One tip, there are times when the sacrifice of some penguins is necessary for the salvation of the rest.
The game has a very casual drawing style and great colorful graphics. There are no melodies or sound effects worth highlighting, they just fulfill their mission. The controls are simple and very intuitive and are all handled with the mouse, so in a few minutes you will be able to grasp the mechanics of the game and you will be fully focused. Don’t miss the opportunity to try this Linux games classic.
Retro emulation: DOSBox
Without being properly a game, DOSBox it is perhaps the most extensive x86 PC platform emulation environment in existence. With it you can run almost any game or software that is based on old DOS, Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 environments. Its overall performance, although very good with the power of current computers, it will never reach the level of an authentic one port, Nor is this his goal. DOSBox it has multiple graphical improvements and allows to emulate disk drives, sound cards, sound controls gamepad and many other devices that incredibly enhance the old title gaming experience.
We left in the inkwell numerous games that you are sure to miss: space simulation, platforms, graphic adventures and a long and so on. Cheer up and comment which you would have included and why.